(Last updated: Wed Sep 6, 2006)
- Rye's Catholics attend Mass at Port Chester
- Our Lady of Mercy established as a Port Chester Parish. Rye &
- Movement by Rye members for a Rye Church
- Parish of the Resurrection Rye, Harrison established by
Cardinal McCloskey. Rev. John McEvoy appointed pastor,
remained Chaplain of and resided at St. Vincent's Retreat,
1880 June 6 - First Mass offered by Father McEvoy at Morrison's Hall (and Hotel) rented through Oct. 1882.
- Purchased William Smith house and property at junction of
Boston Post Road and Purchase Street from Mary A. Berry.
1882 July through October - first floor of Smith house renovated for a Church - One large hall with pillars to support second floor.
- Death of Father McEvoy; Rev. Michael Lane, new pastor and
St. Vincent's Chaplain
First floor of Church enlarged at rear; organ installed
Academy of the Resurrection - elementary grades on second floor above Church; teachers - Sisters of Charity
- May 1 - Fr. Lane rented park property on Boston Post Road
- Church of the Resurrection incorporated under NYS laws -
Property bought on Purchase Street for new Church and on Boston Post Road used later for school
School closed - financial reasons regarding new church
- Foundation for church begun on Purchase St. in December
- Fr. Lane died; Rev. James F. Mee, new pastor completed church
- New church dedicated in October
- Former church renovated for a rectory.
Rev. James T. Barry replaced Father Mee (transferred to
- Rev. William Hayes assisted ailing Fr. Barry; succeeded as pastor.
Resurrection Parochial School opened its classrooms in rented space at Rye Grammar School; Sisters of Charity again reside at St. Vincent's Retreat.
- Cornerstone laid for new school building on Boston Post Road
- School opened; dedicated September 29.
- Rev. William F. Meehan is pastor
- Rev. William J. Donavan, pastor until death - Feb. 1, 1921
- Assistant Rev. James Power - temporary pastor
- Rev. James E. Goggin, new pastor
- First convent for Sisters of Charity on Boston Post Road
- Church moved from Purchase Street to Smith Street.
Rectory moved next to school on Boston Post Road.
Beautiful new larger Church planned for Boston Post Road
and Purchase St. site.
- Kirklawn Inn (Boston Post Road through Milton Road)
purchased for new Parish plant
- Ground broken for new plant - rectory, convent, the school
- Resurrection School - grades 1-8 opened in September
- Cornerstone of new Church and dedication of school, May
18th - 50 years as parish
- First Mass Easter Sunday, April 5; dedication May 31
- Rev. John D. McGowan - administrator; named pastor in 1941 at death of Fr. Goggin
- Academy of the Resurrection dedicated September 10th; classes for 30 students on Sept. 11 in Whittemore Building
and Resurrection School
- Diamond Jubilee of Resurrection Parish. Debt liquidated in full.
Statues on main altar painted as per original plans.
- Ground broken, cornerstone laid for new Academy of the
Resurrection on Boston Post Road
- Classes 9-12 began in February. Dedication May 17.
- Mass offered on portable altar in front of main altar with priest
facing people, per Vatican II Council
1969. Rt. Rev. Msgr. John D. McGowan, PA. retired. Rt. Rev. Msgr. Thomas V. McMahon succeeded.
- Centennial Celebration of Resurrection Parish - year long
events culminating with Solemn Mass of Thanksgiving October 26 offered by Terence Cardinal Cooke, Archbishop
of New York.
- Msgr. McMahon retired. - Msgr. Donald J. Pryor succeeded.
- Temporary portable altars removed and marble altars brought forward on main sanctuary and Lady Chapel with appropriate renovations as needed. Main altar rail removed per Vatican II.
- Stone convent renovated for Parish Center.
- Msgr. Pryor took sabbatical - Bishop Anthony F. Mestice named pastor and Vicar for Central Westchester.
Archdiocese Center for Spiritual Development came to 96
- Academy of the Resurrection closed
- Cathedral Preparatory Seminary moved to Academy bldg. -
Stone Convent/Parish Center made residence for PREP students
- Hogben house renovated for Parish Center.
- Cathedral Prep moved to Stepinac HS White Plains.
Academy Bldg. used by Resurrection School.
- July 1 Bishop Mestice, pastor emeritus; Msgr. Patrick J. Boyle new pastor and vicar of Central Westchester.
** - Morrison's Hotel and Hall moved in sections from Purchase St. North of
Railroad tracks to SW corner Midland and Grace Church St.; was Mrs.
Morrison's East Rye Hotel in 1893 - continuous use as restaurant to today.
Other half-now private home - SE corner Midland and Sylvan.
Based on research by Miss Kathleen M. Balls and Mrs. Shirley Carroll
for 1980 Resurrection Centennial. Additional research by Elaine
Taylor O'Neill - 1980, 1986, 1995, 1999, 2002
The Lady Chapel:
Described as the "gem of the Church", The Lady Chapel is situated at the northeast corner of the church building and seats sixty-four. Doors on the north and east provide easy access to the chapel without going through the main Church.
The chapel, including the altar, was the gift of Mr. & Mrs. Basil Harris, Sr.
The altar is of Botticino marble that was quarried in Pietresanta,
Italy, and purchased from the E. Hackner Co. of Lacrosse, Wisconsin.
A mosaic frieze, in varying tones of gold, decorates and extends
horizontally across the front of the altar. The frieze contains
the Latin inscription “Ave Maria, Gratia Plena” (“Hail
Mary, Full of Grace”). Centered on the front is a carved “M” for
A single marble gradine or shelf holds candles and flowers on each side of the centered, unveiled tabernacle on whose bronze door shines a rayed cross in glory surrounded by a frieze of the grapevine and wheat sheaves symbolic of the Holy Eucharist.
In September 1986, the altar was moved forward to allow the priest to offer the Liturgy or Mass facing the people as mandated by the Vatican Council II. The portable altar in use since 1973 was removed.
Plains white oak is used in the furnishings which include the pews, altar railing, candlesticks and the reredos that frames the triptych, This reredos, as well as those over the main altar and over St. Joseph's Altar, was carved by the most talented wood sculptor from Oberammergau, Isaac Kirchmayer. The doors of the triptych can be closed during Holy Week.
In the triptych above the altar, the central panel is an icon painting “Our Lady of Perpetual Help.” Copied from the icon in the Church of San Alfonso in Rome, it was created by Ilario Panzironi, liturgical artist of New York City.
Our Lady is mantled and crowned befitting royalty and in her arms she cradles her Divine Son. His attention is focused on the Archangel Gabriel. The sight of the cross in St. Gabriel's hands “prophetic of his Crucifixion, so frightened the child that his slipper loosened.” On the other side, Archangel Michael brings other instruments of Our Lord's Passion.
The companion paintings by Panzironi on opposite panels of the triptych depict angel children turned in adoration towards our Lady and the Child Jesus. These are representations of deceased infants of Mr. & Mrs. Harris. The hats they are wearing signify not angels but innocent children. They were painted in the Flemish manner. The pastel colors highlight the central panel of Our Blessed Lady, according to Robert Robbins, the dedicated and talented artist who polychrommed and decorated the chapel reredos, the one on the main altar and that on St. Joseph's altar in 1955.